May 21st 2015
Gather Baltimore Part 2
Here is a run-down on a few cool details that we have learned since the last time we talked.
- 300-400 bags get sold each week.
- Volunteers make this program possible by organizing bagging and separating the food into the blue bags.
- The huge walk-in refrigerators that the foods are stored in were built by Arthur and his friends chopping the typically $20,000-30,000 dollar price tag down to $3000-4000.
- A little action shot of making some of the bags up, in the line up for todays bags there were avocados, organic butter, yucca root, grapes, apples, zucchini, lettuce, chili peppers, a loaf of bread, and bananas.
- Gather is on the cusp of growing into a bigger organization. Using grants and other aid money from the network of non-profits in the city Gather hopes to construct a new coolers, expand and further organize their volunteer program, find an AmeriCore Vista member.